I need some help with my lesson planning. I am trying to pick a read-aloud to read to my second graders, but I have noooo idea what to pick and I need recommendations. The criteria is:
1. Public school
2. Novel/chapter book
3. 2nd grade audience
4. Something I have read or at least heard of or that would not take me more than a couple hours to read
5. Something that will inspire the kids and get them thinking about things, whether school or life (so that means NOT Diary of a Wimpy Kid or somewhat pointless books like that)
I have some ideas…let me know what you think.
1. One of the books from the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. What do you think? Too hard for that age group to understand? Too “spiritual”?
2. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. I LOVED this when I young…but it’s not very much of a story and will the boys be ok with it?
3. A book by Beverly Cleary or the Junie B Jones books.
4. Charlotte’s Web
5. The Wheel on the School
Any other suggestions???